About Me

My photo
The Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, United States
I'm a Catholic Christian, creative curly-haired, cat/hat lover who is awesomely random and randomly awesome. Read my wonderful writings, listen to my mystical music, enjoy my beautiful blog...

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Things in your mind 1234


I found Rachel to be a reasonable companion in the months that followed.  She was quiet, but thoughtful, as are most reserved people.  School was eating me up and my class mates were getting on my nerves.
My friend Holly had a brother who was killed in a car collision with a drunk driver.  It was one of those hit-and-run things; just like that, he was gone.  It happened a long time ago, before I met Holly, but it kills her every time she thinks about it.  Some people get angry, shout and beat things when they think back on something tragic.  Others just shut up like a clam and won’t say a word unless you pry them open with a crowbar.  Holly is more like the latter; except all the time.
The first time I really met her, we were sitting through our physical science class and learning about Newton’s second law of motion when she suddenly slammed her book shut.  I sat behind her, usually, and was especially startled by her reaction.  When I asked her about it later she said that there was a picture of a guy pushing a car that looked awfully like her brother’s car.  I laughed and rolled my eyes as I usually do when I find something ridiculous.  It’s terrible how involuntary rolling my eyes has become.  She got incredibly upset and didn’t say a word to me for a week.
I pestered, nagged, then begged her to tell me more so I could understand; that my eye-rolls mean nothing and that she should ignore all my reactions.  Finally she got sick of me asking all the time and told me, “I’ll talk to you later” since we were in the middle of history class at the time.  At lunch time she pulled me over to a table that was basically empty except for one random girl who was chewing on a pretzel thoughtfully.
“Look,” she said as she stared me boldly in the eyes, “my brother died, when I was eight, in a typical car crash.”
“Okay.” I said thinking that it couldn’t have been that bad; most brothers I hear about are annoying twerps who don’t know when to get out of their sister’s hair.  Then again, I’d never lost anyone I really cared about in my life.  Most of my extended family lives far away and we don’t travel to see them ever.  I’ve never gotten attached to anyone outside my mom and dad and even then, their arguing all the time makes me not want to know them.  “Is that all?” I said as I pulled a hamburger out of my lunch bag.
She sighed impatiently, “He was a good brother and we rarely ever fought with each other.  He always was there to listen to me.  We had a tree house in our backyard and we would go up there when our parents quarreled with each other.”
Ooh, I thought, someone who might get me.
“So,” I interrupted rudely, “cool brother, evil car crash, the end.”  Some days I wish I would think twice before I say anything.
“No!” she said smacking my thigh.  I jerked back in shock, but she continued, “You don’t get it!  You won’t listen.  You’re just like everyone else.  They all think, ‘get a hold of yourself, Holly’, ‘time to move on: what’s past is past move on with the present’.  Even my parents have moved on.” She sighed heavily, trying to calm herself down, “It didn’t take them long to fall back into their usual pattern of dispute.  They’ve since argued themselves into a divorce and now I don’t even see my father anymore.”  This is when I noticed how hard her heart must be.  If I were relaying these details, instead of her, I would be in tears.  I felt sorry for her, but I knew she probably didn’t want that.  I looked away from her cold, white face and at my hamburger which I had been squishing until my hands looked bloody from the ketchup that had oozed out of it.
“I’m sorry,” I mumbled as I dropped the sad burger onto its wrapper, “I didn’t realize…”
“That’s the point,” she continued, “no one realizes anything.  No one gets my pain.”
“But I do!” I reached for her hand, she hit a spot I’d tried not to touch on much.
“No you don’t, you think it’s ridiculous.  They all do.” She pulled her hand back and studied it, seldom glaring at me.
“I do understand the whole parent’s arguing thing.  Mine fight all the time.  Yesterday, my father mentioned that our spaghetti didn’t have its usual parmesan cheese sprinkled atop it and my mother went on some dramatic tantrum, she teaches acting at the local theater, you see, so it gets really overwhelming.  I can’t stand it so I—”
“But you still have both of them.” She cut in.
“Well, yeah…”
“You’re a lucky one.”  She got up and left me there at the table.  I stared at my sticky red hands. What had I done?  Why can’t I say anything right the first time?  I rolled my eyes, again, this time at myself.
“Be patient with Holly.  She’s been through a lot without anyone standing as her backup.”  The lonely kid at the table was still nibbling at her soft pretzel, “You have friends you can count on and she doesn’t.”
Okay, weird.  Just a tad bit creepy.  Has this kid been spying on me all this time; a stalker?  I didn’t want to stay to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment